Thursday, June 21, 2007

More About That Owl

Can you guess where I took that picture of the owl? Nature walk? On a trip? At a zoo? An aquarium? Or in our neighborhood?

If you guessed the aquarium you are right. Look how very teeny tiny it really was. About as tall as my hand and that's all.

Try to spot him in the picture!






It is a small, small screech owl and is on the left side of the picture. It was not in a cage, so I don't know if it could fly. Mom was looking at the air plants and the orchids and I saw the owl! We did not know what a funny face he was making until we zoomed way in. His beak looks like a tooth!

I learned a lot about owls last year. One fact about the barn owl is that it has a white heart shaped face. Sometimes when my dad and I take a night walk we see some owls perched on the power lines.

3 comments:

Denise in PA said...

I'm with your mom...I would have been looking at the air plants (they have always fascinated me.

Now, about those eagle eyes of yours seeing that hiding owl. My mom, sister and I were shopping in an outlet shopping center near the Ohio border. They have everything beautifully landscaped and it's in a wetland zone (think ducks, geese, and swapy stuff). Well, we came out of a store and I glanced at the plantings, like I always do and there stood a beaver! A real live beaver! My sister never did see it before it jumped in the water and swam away.

Katya said...

Wow! That *is* a tiny little owl, isn't it?
So, now I have a question for you. Since that little owl is in captivity, is it no longer nocturnal? It looks like it was sitting out in the daylight!
We have Screech owls in our woods. In the summer, when we sleep with the windows open, we have heard them "screech" in the middle of the night! Wow, it almost sounds like someone screaming, and it surely can wake you up with your heart racing!

Anonymous said...

that is the smallest owl i have ever seen it is so cute -emma